Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Be Careful What You Wish For!

I should probably be sleeping right now, but the older kids are gone and the babe is sleeping, so I figured I’d document the happenings of this past week before I forget too much.

To preface this crazy story:
I have had 2 inductions in the past.  I have always wanted to go into labor naturally, and have said that I would like to ‘someday’ MAYBE try natural childbirth, if the baby came fast and I couldn’t have an epidural. 
With this baby I developed a condition called thrombocytopenia.  It is essentially a low platelet count.  I have never had this problem before, so they (the doctors) are not sure if it is due to my pregnancy or if I have just developed it.  So to make a long story shorter because platelets are low there was a possibility I could not get an epidural (if the count was too low).  That being said I really did not want Pitocin, if I could not also be assured I could have an epidural.
I went to my last doctor’s appointment and my doctor said I was very favorable so I could set an induction date, or I could schedule a non-stress test for a week later.  So I set an induction for a week later, Wednesday, August 29th at 7:00 am and prayed every day I wouldn’t last that long and that I would need to be induced.

THE STORY:
On Saturday morning at 4:00 am I woke up to go to the bathroom.  I went back to bed and dozed off.  At 4:30 I woke up again and felt like I had peed a tiny bit (like a teaspoon) in my pants.  I was so confused and annoyed because I just gone to the bathroom.  So I got up to go to the bathroom and change.  I sat on the toilet, peed maybe a teaspoon stood up and my water broke all over the bathroom floor.  I stood there so shocked and tried to convince myself that I had just peed a TON of clear fluid all over the floor.  A few seconds later, I called to Marc and told him my water broke.  I then hopped into the shower and waited for the contractions to start.  They didn't start for a good 20 minutes and I wasn't in any hurry because they weren't too painful or close together.  I called my Mom and told her to come over around 6:00.  I started blow drying my hair and putting on makeup and that is when the contractions started.  I remember thinking, "these hurt, I definitely want an epidural."  So I called my Mom at 5:10 because the contractions were getting painful and closer together and told her she probably should get here sooner, "like 5:30".  Marc was wandering aimlessly around the house, trying to get ready and changing his CPA exam test date.  I called to him a few times so confused, "Marc, what are you doing?"  I asked him to clean up the bathroom (my water) because every time I bent over to wipe it up more water would gush out and I was getting so annoyed.  So Mom arrived around 5:30 and we left for the hospital.  Marc sped all the way there and I kept telling him "don't speed, my contractions aren't that close together.  Don't run any lights."  I'm sure I was driving him crazy, but he was getting really scared that he would delivering the baby in the car.  We arrived at the hospital at 5:50 and Marc sprinted in to get me a wheelchair.  (I was having a contraction when we got there).  So after the contraction was over, I walked in and Marc quickly arrived with the wheelchair.  I still wasn't too worried that the baby would come too quick and the contractions weren't too painful.  They wheeled me into my room (number 7) and I quickly changed into a gown.  It wasn't until after I was changed into the gown that I started to worry.  I told my nurse Stephanie after I had changed that they needed to do my blood work IMMEDIATELY to see if I could get an epidural.  
She checked me and I was dilated to a 5.  I then told Marc, you better take a picture now, because I don't think I'm going to want you to take anymore. See first picture. Over the next 20 minutes I went from a 5-10 and was in an enormous amount of pain.  They started my IV maybe 10 minutes before delivering and did my blood work maybe 5 minutes before delivering.  I have the worst veins so the fact that this was able to happen in between my contractions was a miracle.  The nurses all left for a second and I yelled that I needed to push.  They all came running in and after 3 pushes the little lady was here.  The nurse delivered the baby and 20 minutes later the doctor arrived.  I asked Marc the next day, "Where were you in the delivery room when the baby was born?" I was so out of it and in pain that I had no idea where he was.  
During the second push, a super annoying nurse got in my face and asked, "what's the babies name?" in an effort to help me focus?  I wanted to yell every expletive in the book at her.  

THE READERS DIGEST VERSION:
water broke: 4:30
leave for the hospital: 5:30
arrive at hospital: 5:50
baby born: 6:25


 My amazing nurse, Stephanie.  She just happened to be my nurse and a nurse-practioner/midwife. 


 She weighed 8 lbs. 6 oz. and was 19 1/2 inches
 Her first bath from the miniature nurse, Avery. 
 Her first check up from her doctor, Randall Hepworth. 
She has a ton of DARK hair.  Apparently that is what I looked like as a babe and everyone called me the indian baby. 


VISITORS:
 Auntie Kaisa and Great Uncle Gary (GUG) came to visit with the kids, but for some reason they aren't photographed.  Kaisa took a ton of pictures with her camera, so I'm hoping they are just on her camera. 
  
Rawson wasn't super interested at first, but ended up loving poking at her and naming all of her features. 
 
First family photo.  Cosette was so obsessed and still is.  She wants to hold her all day and is the best helper!
I think he liked his treats better than the babe.
Mema Julia
Uncle Brant
 Papa Steve
 Uncle Gary
Papa Stan
Gary's girl, Kelsi Telford 
 Grandma Linda
 Uncle Kurty and Auntie Amanda

 Great Auntie Kathy
GOING HOME!




Cosette and Rawson made the cutest sign and helped Mema hang it on the garage door.
 We are all in love and happy to be home!

1 comment:

jordan and maci said...

love, love, LOVE every single gory detail! you did it! i am amazed. congrats again--what a perfect addition to your already beautiful family;)